The Next Web published a very interesting infographic that illustrates the "economics of going viral" - various statistics regarding internet videos. Listed are some of the highlights:
- 200 petabytes of video files played on Vimeo in 2012
- Ads on video sites increased consideration/intent of purchases by 14.3 percent
- Spending on online marketing campaigns increased by 21.7 percent from 2011-2012
- Professional YouTube personalities get paid a lot of money
- 7000 hours of new footage are uploaded to YouTube daily
- 2.7 billions uploads tagged #obama or #romney during the US Presidential campaign
- YouTube had more than one trillion views in 2011
Clearly, this is a massive amount of traffic. There is no doubt that mobile platforms have significantly contributed to the increase in video (and all media) traffic.
Check out the full document in the source below.